But there is much more than Phở. You might be suprise with different type of noodle in Hanoi.
You might fall in love with the Hanoi’s Cuisine.
A. Phở – Rice noodle
A.1. What is phở?
Phở is a kind of rice noodle, made by steaming rice batter into thin sheet and then cut them into strand, is thin, flat, and white compared to other types of Vietnamese noodle.
A.2. Phở Bò (Beef Rice Noodle)
Pho Bò Hanoi(Beef Noodle Soup)
Mentioning Hanoi Pho, the most common type of phở can be thought of is phở bò, beef noodle soup. Considering the best bowl of phở bò, several things are counted: the translucency of the soup, the quality of the beef and the thinness of the noodle. Above all is the perfect seasoning of saltiness, sourness from lemon and sweetness from the bone-stewed broth. Phở can also be eat with quẩy (fried bread).
Adding chili, fish sauces, lime and other herbs can amazingly increase the flavor of phở and therefore can give you a full experience of Hanoi’s the most representative food.
Phở Thìn, 13 Lò Đúc Street – 5:00am to 9:00pm
Phở Tư Lùn, 23C Hai Bà Trưng Street – 6:00am to 9:30pm
Phở Lâm, 48 Hàng Vải Street – 6:00am to 10:00am
*Phở Lâm is famous for Soup Beef Heel Muscle Noodle.
Phở Bò Xào (Stir-fried Beef Noodle)
If noodle soup is too familiar with you, let’s try the stir-fried version, which is also comparably fantastic! This is the new taste of Pho Hanoi.
Stir-fried beef phở has the same ingredient as the soup version, but without the broth and is cooked by frying those ingredients.
Herbs, chili and lime can also be added, but merely optional
Pho xao Phu My, 45B Bát Đàn Street.
A.3. Phở gà
If you don’t like beef or you can eat beef, why don’t you give a try with Pho ga (Chicken Noodle soup). Pho Hanoi is also famous for this type of Pho.
Also consists of noodle, broth and meat, phở gà is different with chicken. In using chicken and its bone to create the broth, phở gà is somehow more delicate and light in flavor.
Interestingly, famous phở gà restaurants usually open at night, from 7:00pm to 11:00pm.
We’ve just been through Pho Hanoi, then What is more than Pho Hanoi?
B. Bún – Rice Vermicelli
B.1. What is bún?
Bún is also a type of rice noodle, but more round in form, like sticks.
B.2. Bún Chả (Grilled Pork Noodle)
Bún chả is served with grilled fatty pork (chả) over a plate of white rice noodle (bún) and herbs with a side bowl of sour, sweet and salty dipping sauce. The indescribable harmony of sourness, sweetness and saltiness of the sauce with the deep seasoned grilled pork, and also with light austerity of the rice vermicelli promises to be a unforgettable taste once tried.
Crispy grilled pork with sour and sweet saucy, with the austere white rice vermicelli stand for the signature elegance and delight in Hanoi food.
74 Hàng Quạt Street (in a small alley), 10:00am to 2:00pm
34 Hàng Than Street, 10:00am to 4:00pm
67 Đường Thành Street, 10:000am to 8:00pm
B.4. Bún Thang
Bún thang is a slightly sweet noodle soup infused with the taste of stewed shrimp. A bowl of bún thang contains many colors working a harmony: the white tangled vermicelli sets off the red of the shrimp, the pink of sliced pork paste, the yellow of sliced fried eggs, cleaved chicken, salty egg yolk, and the green of fragrant knotweed and basil.
The attractive look of bún thang, like colorful blossoming flower, with the light touch of shrimp sauces leaves you an amazing experience of the Hanoi elegant taste.
Apart from Pho Hanoi, Bun Thang is also regarded as the traditional Hanoi food.
Bún đậu mắm tôm, shortly called as bún đậu, has 3 main ingredients: rice vermicelli noodle, fried tofu and fermented shrimp paste, also optionally with boiled pork and chả cốm, Vietnamese jaded-rice sausage.
If you don’t want Bun or Pho Hanoi for your food anymore, since they have been introduced to you several times.
Why don’t you taste Miến?
C.1. What is miến?
Miến is made of mung bean, or Canna edulis
It’s first gray, stiff in shape and opaque but turn transparent and stretchy after cooked.
Besides cooking a bowl of miến,miến is also used as an ingredient in making spring rolls. Compared to other kind of noodle, the stickiness of miến makes Vietnamese dishes really appetizing and interesting.
C.2. Miến Lươn (Eel Glass Noodle)
Miến lươn nước (Eel glass noodle soup)
Miến lươn nước simply has 3 main ingredients: fried eel, glass noodle and broth. However, the amazing broth of miến lươn nước with hành dăm, a Vietnamese special herb leave you a light but memorable taste of seafood.
Although not as famous as other noodle dishes, miến lươn promises to be an memorable tasty experience in your Hanoi food’s collection
Miến lươn xào (Stir-fried eel glass noodle)
Miến lươn xào is a stir frying version of miến lươn nước. With interesting combination of sour pickled cucumber, fried onion, and eggs with glass noodle and eel, miến lươnxào is also a dish you should not miss when visiting Hanoi.
Miến lươn trộn (Mixed eel noodle)
Miến lươn trộn, also comprise of noodle and eel, is special for the amazing sour and sweet sauce that is used to mix with noodle and eel. With pickled cucumber and other Vietnamese special herb, this dish is also in your should-not-miss food list when coming to Hanoi.
1 Chân Cầm Street, 7:00am to 10:00pm
87 Hàng Điếu Street. 87:00am to 10:00pm
*Price:40.000 ≈ 60.000 VND (2 ≈ 3 USD)
Take your time, Pho Hanoi is not the only special dish in Vietnam.
Take several days in Hanoi, you might be amazed with the attractiveness of the food in Hanoi, especially Hanoi noodles – a beauty of Vietnam.
If you are in Ha Noi and want to have a different experience to explore the Viet Nam’s capital, I think our Ha Noi Street Food Tour online is very useful for you. I think you may know that Ha Noi has many delicious dishes and each dish has many kinds of it. However, you have only a limited amount of time; can you enjoy all best dishes? Don’t worry because we have a list of top 10 dishes to try in Ha Noi. The top 10 street foods will make you become a real Hanoians. The only one question you should ask yourself is “Hey stomach, are you ready?” I hope so.
About: i think every Vietnamese has the same opinion that “ Crab noodle soup that is so delicious that it very popular with the locals.” It has a light and natural sweet that make it different from all kinds of food you have ever tried before. Moreover, it is very good for your health because there are a perfect mixture of protein., vegetables and noodles. Thus, there is no need for you to worry about gaining your
What are included: the soup has many ingredients basing on regional culture. However, some elements are common in all regions.
What are servered accompanying: Vietnamese have habit of eating vegetables with soup. For crab noodles soup, they often choose: fresh lettuces, coriander leaves or onion leaves. Even if, they eat soup with “ quay” (a dish made of potatoes) or tofu.
Where to eat in Hanoi: top 4 the most famous places
– Address: 42th Hoa Ma Street, Hai Ba Trung, Ha Noi.
– Reviews: Crab noodles soups are very big which full of crab’s meat, beef and yellow- fried- tofu. The serving attitude is very high so you can enjoy your
– Price: 30000 VND – 55.000
2. Mrs Teo
– Address: 104 C6 To Hieu, Nghia tam. Cau Giay, Ha Noi.
– Reviews: the soup is colorful of many kinds of elements. Especially, the vegetables eating accompanying is very delicious. The place is very crowded in the noon and in the evening.
– Price : 30.000 VND
3. Nguyen Sieu Street.
– Address:32th Nguyen Sieu, Hoan Kiem, Ha Noi.
– Reviews: although it is quite narrow, it is always full of people. The broth is mixed of much taste but it is still keep its original one.
– Opening time: 6AM -6 PM
– Price: 000 VND – 45.000VND
VERMICELLI & TOFU WITH SHRIMP PASTE- THE WEIRD FOOD OF WHAT TO EAT IN HANOI
About: it is one of the strangest dishes you have ever tried but I think you may be surprised but its taste. The first time you see the dish, I guess you may hesitate of trying because of its smell but it is the dish that you should not miss.
What are included: fried tofu, fishcakes, pork and tightly compressed vermicelli noodles “patties” cut into cubes. These elements are eaten dipped into a shrimp paste. It is a special seasoning of Vietnamese. It is very strange taste but be aware of eating too much may bother you stomach.
What are servered accompanying fresh herbs, pork.
Where to eat in Hanoi:
1) Hang Khay :
– Address: 31th Hang Khay, Ha Noi.
– Reviews: it is the most famous place for people who want to enjoy bun dau mam tom. You may be surprised by its crowd. It proves the attractions of the place.
– Opening time: 10h30 am – 19 pm
– Price: 45.000 VND
2 ) Cay Bang, Dai La Street:
– Address:Cay Bang, Dai La street, Hai Ba Trung, Ha Noi.
– Reviews: people choose the place because of many reasons but the most important one is its delicious taste. Therefore, in high times, you many have to wait about for 15 minutes to 20 minutes to have the dish on your own.
– Opening time: 10am – 14pm
– Price: 000 VND
STIR FRIED NOODLE-SPECIAL NOODLE OF WHAT TO EAT IN HANOI
About: If you are bored with beef pho or chicken pho , stir fried noodles is one kind of pho that you should not miss. The rice noodles are worked fried with greens and meat.
What are included: noodles, vegetables, beef and onion leaves.
Where to eat:
1) Bat Dan:
– Address: 45 Bat Dan, Hoan Kiem, Ha Noi.
It is opened may years ago but until now, there are different opinions about its taste. For some people, they think the dish is hardly eatable. However, for most people, the dish’s taste is very unique. The sweet and salty sauce is the most special taste that nowhere in Ha Noi has. That why there are people being addicted to the dish.
– Opening time: 08:00 Am – 11:Pm
– Price: 30.000 VND- 66.000 VND
2) Hang Buom
– Address: 11th Hang Buom, Hoan Kiem, Ha Noi.
– Review: the dish is not only fried well done but also its high quality beef that make you never forget. Thus, since about 7 pm, the place is crowed until late.
– Opening time: 06:00pm – 03:30 pm
– Price: 50.000- 110.000
FALE DOG MEAT (BUN GIA CAY)
About: are you wondering about its name? False or real? You are far from alone . Most of people are also not sure about it. In fact, I can make sure that it is false. Therefore, you don’t need to worry about trying it at least one time because you love it may be. In winter, enjoying the dish is not the bad choice to dispel cold.
What are included: pork, galangal, shrimp paste and mẻ ( a kind of seasoning made of rice fermented).
What are servered accompanying :noodles, savory nature and lemongrass
Where to eat: according to Foody.vn and Lozi.vn – two best of voted attracting places websites In Viet Nam, places below are recommended:
1) Kim Lien
– Address: between the C6 and C9 dormitory, Kim Lien, Dong Da, Ha Noi.
– Reviews: the place is clean. Noodles are white and tough. Pork is well done but soft enough. In addition, good serving and cheap price is plus mark for this place
However, you should notice on its address because it is quite hard to find the place. You go to the 132th house in Phuong Mai Street. Then, you will see a large alley opposing you. Going in the alley, you are arrived in the place. One recommend for you, don’t be the guest after 1 pm or you are nothing to order.
– Opening time: 07 Am- 10. Pm
– Price: 20.000- 35.000 VND
2) Vu Pham Ham
– Address: walking side Vu Pham Ham Street, Cau Giay, Ha Noi
– Reviews: opened in walking side, the place is quite clean. The dish is very good, especially greasy broth.
– Opening time: 6 Am- 11 Am
– Price25.000 – 33.000 VND
SPRING ROLLS (BUN NEM)
About: bun nem is another attracting dish in Ha Noi. The greasy of fried spring rolls, the sweet-and-sour sauce and the toughness of noodles make a great impression on you since the first time. No surprisingly that you will drop in a place to enjoy the dish in the second or the third time like real Hanoians. Try it if you see it.
What are included: noodles, spring rolls, sauce.
What are servered accompanying : vegetables such as been sprouts, fresh herbs.
Where to eat:
1) Dinh cong
– Address: Opposing KFC Dinh Cong street, Hoang Mai, HA Noi
– Reviews: I love this place because of both cheap price and good taste of the dish. I will come back here when the next time I visit Viet Nam and Ha Noi.
– Opening time: 9h AM- 9h PM
– Price: 15.000- 35.000 VND
2) Hang Cot
– Address: 36th Hang Cot, Hoan Kiem, Ha Noi.
– Reviews: the place has been highly recommended by customers on its location, price, dish quality and serving attitude.
– Opening time: 6h30 am – 9h30am
– Price : 30.000-40.000
STEAMED PORK WRAPS (BANH CUON)
About: the dish is local delicacy in Ha Noi despite many regions in Viet Nam sell it. It can be said that steamed pork wraps in Ha Noi is the best. Its distinguish taste is not like any taste of any dishes in Ha Noi or in the world. Furthermore, I suppose that no one can deny trying a colorful and skillfully made dish like it. Try it and while waiting for being served, taking notice around because I may sitting next to you.
What are included: pork, mushroom filling wrapped in freshly steamed rice paper. After that, chiefs top banh cuon with crunchy fried shallots.
What are servered accompanying: fish sauce, chili sauce and fresh herbs.
Where to eat:
1) Thanh Van.
– Address: 12th -14th Hang Ga, Hoan Kiem, Ha Noi
– Phone number: 0438.280.108
– Reviews: in Tripadvisor, people laid great store upon it.
A foreigner- John said “I was so surprised when I saw many people eating there at 10 am. They don’t have to work or the dish is too attracting? I am not sure.”
– Opening time: 6h3-9hpm
– Price: 15.000-28.000
– Address: 66th To Hien Thanh, Hai ba Trung, HA noi.
– Reviews:charice “the first time I saw it, I said “oh my god, is it eatable?”. It is very strange to me. Nevertheless, after that, I ate the dish every morning during my period of time in Ha Noi. I wish I could cook it for my family.”
– Opening time: 6:30 am -10 pm
– Price:30.000 VND- 60.000 VND
VIETNAMESE SANWICH (banh mi)-VIETNAMES ICONIC OF WHAT TO EAT IN VIETNAM
About: you have a habit of eating sandwich but you are afraid of not finding it in Viet Nam? You don’t need to order a sandwich in your country and wait for it transferred to Viet Nam (if you can) because in Ha Noi, Vietnamese sandwich is an ideal alternation for you. From my point of view, Vietnamese sandwich is one of the most ingenious France-meets- Asia creations ever!
What is included: a fluffy baguette is full of many kinds of elements such as pate, cold cuts, cucumber and picked daikon and carrots.
What are servered accompanying : in Ha Noi, this sandwich is served with hot sauce and mayo drizzled on top?
Where to eat:
1) Pho co (the old quarter)
– Address: 38th Dinh Liet, Ha Noi.
– Reviews: you may be simplicity of the place but it has existed for a long time. Its dish- Vietnamese sandwich is favored by many people. Especially, all of elements used are made by owners
– Price: 20.000- 25.000
– Address: 34th LO Su, Hoan Kiem HA Noi.
– Reviews: it has been existed since 1979 so it is one of the most long life places in Ha Noi. Even though the country has changed a lot since that time, the dish’ taste in the place is still kept. Thus, it comes as no surprise to me that the place is always crowed.
– Opening time: 6h am- 9h pm
– Price: 15.000-25.000
STICKY RICE ( xoi deo)- TRADITIONAL FOOD OF WHAT TO EAT IN HANOI
About: Vietnamese have habit of eating rice in all of their dishes. Sticky rice is a different kind of rice that it the one of the most popular dish in Ha Noi.
What are included: sticky rice with various toppings. Differ from your first imagination of it, it does not come plain. Grilled pork, ground meat and eggs are dispensable elements.
What are servered accompanying: sliced cucumbers.
Where to eat:
1) Xoi Yen
– Address: 35B- the corner of main street Nguyen Huu Huan and Hang Mam, Hoan Kiem Ha Noi.
– Reviews:Hana “I thought rice is not my favorite before but when I ate the dish, I changed my mind. It is very good.”
– Opening time: 5 am – 1 am
– Price:35.000- 44.000
2) Yen Ninh
– Address98th Yen Ninh, Hang Bun, Ba DInh, Ha Noi.
– Reviews: “the bowl of sticky rice very big but I can not leave any thing because it is delicious”
– Opening time: 9h am -9h pm
– Price: 30.000- 60.000
CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP
About: traditional pho in Ha Noi is so famous that I think I don’t need to comment any things. Chicken pho is one of two the most popular kinds of pho in Ha Noi.
What are included: chicken meat, broth, noodles and seasonings.
What are servered accompanying : lemon, herbs.
Where to eat:
1) Tu Lun
– Address: 5th Hang Trong, Hoan Kiem, Ha Noi.
– Reviews: I cannot explain why I love the place but the taste is vey wonderful. I am sure there is any where which has a more delicious dish than this place.
– Price: 20.000- 28.000
– Opening time: 06:00 AM – 01:30 PM
03:00 PM – 11:00 P
2) Quan Thanh
– Address156th Quan Thanh, Ba Dinh, Ha Noi.
– Reviews: Kim “ I and my boyfriend came here only one time when we visited Viet Nam 1 years ago but I am still remember the good taste of Pho here.”
– Opening time: 06:30 AM – 11:00 AM
– Price: 25.000- 44.000vnd.
GRILLED PORK & VERMICELLI (BUN CHA)
About: visiting ha Noi, bun Cha is the dish you should eat or no one believes that you came here. It reflects our creation of food along with our eating culture so that why in 2016, the President of USA Obama decided to enjoy it in his time in Ha Noi with other members of House of Parliament.
What are included: noodles, pork (there are two kinds of pork: strips of meat and minced pork patties), onion leaves.
What are severed accompanying: fish sauces, herbs.
Where to eat:
1) Huong Lien
– Address: 24th Le van Huu, ha Noi
– Reviews: oh my god, when I knee our President came here; I guessed the dish is very good. Last year, I came Ha Noi and tried it. Wow, I am not wrong.
– Opening time: 9 am -8h pm
– Price: 40.000- 85.000 VND
2) Dac Kim
– Address1th Hang Manh, Hoang Kiem
– Reviews: although the price is quite high, the quality of dish is equally to your money. “Cha” is made of crab. Besides, the size of the dish is large enough for any stomach regardless how big it is.
– Opening time: 10am -19 Pm
– Price: 50.000-60.000 VND
Why don’t you BOOKfood tours in order to discover Hanoi street food tours with us.
there are several options that you can do with Hanoikids when you visit Hanoi
Hanoikids Food tour is one of the tour that you should not miss during your stay in Hanoi city. Let take a few minutes to know what food you are going to enjoy when you book a Hanoikids Food Tour
The Hanoikids Food Tour will includes about 5 out of these following foods.
Banh cuon: steamed rice pancake with pork and shrimp jerky: 14 Hang Ga (83 Hang Dieu)
Bun bo Hue: beef noodle in Hue style: 60 Bat Su str
Trung ngai cuu( omelet with tarragon leaves) Hang Hom str Nem
fresh roll, pillow cake, donut :Cay da restaurant, Ly quoc su str
Bún chả: rice noodle with grilled pork, with fish sauce, rice vinegar, sugar for dipping sauce and green papaya ( 12 Dinh Liet)
Kem xoi ( sticky rice ice cream) Sua chua nep cam ( black rice yoghurt) 95 Hang Bac str
Cafe trung: Vietnamese coffee with egg cream 39 Nguyen Huu Huan
Beer Hanoi at Tahien Street.
Hanoikids Street Food Tour Itinerary
Hanoikids guide will pick up you at your hotel and transfer to the old quarter. Then, starting out Hanoikids Food tour by waking around the old capital of vietnam where you will meet and chat with the local merchants about the food. hanoikids food tour the continues along main streets and hidden alleys to discover the street vendors making and selling a wide variety of exotic foods. The purpose of Food tour with Hanoikids is to give visitors a safe opportunity to try the foods of local Hanoi people while supporting the community by buying directly from the vendors. And the end of Hanoikids food tour, you will enjoy a cup of egg coffee at Giang Café, one of the most special coffee in the world.
Time: 8:30Am, 14:00Pm 17:30Pm
Pick-up: Your Hotel
Return: Your hotel
Transportation: Walking, taxi.
Hanoikids Food Tour on Tripadvisor
Such a good Hanoikids Food Tour
One of the highlights of our trip was definitely the Food tour with hanoikids, seting up the food tour seemed to be very easy, our Hanoikids guides spoke great English which impressed us a lot. Besides, they knew all the good food spots in the Hanoi as a local here, not to mention flexible, tailoring our tour based on our interests. And the most amazing part was how friendly, welcoming and enthusiastic they were and to my surprise didn’t want to accept any money from us.
We really enjoyed the trip and the company of the hanoikids, would recommend Hanoikids food tour to tourists travelling to Hanoi!!
Best way to explore Hanoi and try the local street food with Hanoikids Food Tour
We were very luky to have booked two tours for Hanoi children during our stay – a morning tour and an evening street food tour of Hanoikids. Both were great and I would definitely recommend to everyone. Especially Hanoikids Food Tour. Our guides were wonderful and the tours were very well organized.
Our first visit was a half-day tour of the city. We had requested for a full day but that there were no students available for our dates. These tours are very popular (and I can see why) so it’s worth booking as soon as you can. We had booked 6 weeks in advance and were still booked for a full day. We went up at noon and decided to go in the morning to avoid the heat. We met our Hanoikids guide, Trang promptly at 9:30 am in the hotel lobby. She was very friendly, spoke very good English and was enthusiastic.
Our second Hanoi kids was an overnight Hanoikids food tour on the street and again we had an amazing experience. This time we were lucky enough to have two guides – Quynh Anh and Thursday We were picked up from our hotel lobby at 6:00. Before we ventured outside we were asked how we felt about street food in Hanoi, it was what dishewe had already tried and what we wanted to try as well as our dietary needs. Based on this the women turned out to be a plan that we will go.
Again our guides proved invaluable and greatly benefited from their local knowledge, getting to taste some wonderful local specialties of Hanoi such as Bahn Da Cua and Bahn Cuon, we ended up with Vietnamese coconut coffee. Probably never have tried these things we had been on our own.
These tours are a wonderful way to see a part of Hanoi that you probably will not on your own. Their local knowledge is invaluable and they are willing to answer any questions you may have.
It is a fantastic service. It’s totally free, you only pay for the taxi, expenses and extras as meals (for guides as well). We would also like to read the reviews on TripAdvisor and came prepared with gifts from home to introduce our Hanoikids guides as a thank you.
The Hanoikids are mostly students who offer volunteer tours through the city. A very great and nice thing. We have a street Hanoikids food tour. On the last vacation we had already booked a city tour with a visit of the war museum and the old prison (Hanoi Hilton). Both tours were a great experience, even for our two kids (teenagers). The students have also tried to help them, and the children found the guides equally sympathetic. I would not book another tour, but always support the Hanoikids.